Monday 2 May 2016

Greco Guitars

Greco Guitars : All Mahogany Strat


For this blogger at least, there are few objects from within the realm of Japanese guitar brands which raise the pulse quite like this all mahogany Greco Strat type Japanese guitar; I'll burn in hell for this - but I even prefer this to my Mosrite or teisco guitars.

I say all mahogany, although this is not strictly true as this guitar also sports an ebony fret board. Make no mistake, this is one of the rarest Greco guitars, and so exceedingly so, that I have not encountered another despite an exhaustive search of the world wide web.


A front view reveals some typical strat fare:- five way switch, 3 single coils and volume and tone controls.

As mentioned above, I have not been able to locate another Greco guitar quite like this, but have been able to source the following from a Japanese guitar dealer:-

'...Greco, I knew this guitar. It should be 78-80 time guitar.
They made strat and Tele for this, but not listed on the catalog.
Something like dealer’s order. Maybe 60 units for TL and ST.
When I was working at the music shop, like 79-81 times, I sold this model. Fujigen model...' (cf. Personal e-mail 2016)

This dealer is correct when he states that this guitar dates from circa 78-80; the neck plate dates it to November 1979. And so, there are approximately another 59 of these strats out there, if that many have even survived...





1 comment:

  1. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w357902182

    ReplyDelete