Monday 9 May 2016

Rinton Atlas guitar Thailand

Rinton / Atlas Guitar Thailand


Overview of an handmade guitar by Rinton/Alas guitars Thailand
( CLICK TO ENLARGE )

Atlas / Rinton Guitars in a Japanese Guitar Blog???

Ok, ok, ok ! This is not a Japanese guitar, I'll grant you that ! But I'll also beg your indulgence to let me explain why it's appearing in a Japanese guitar blog. Well the rational is that anyone who can appreciate the delights of Greco, Tokai, Burny etc. will be interested and appreciate the beauty of this guitar. Not convinced? read on and be converted !

What????? Thailand produce masterfully built guitars??????  - 

The guitar you are looking at is an Atlas / Rinton Star Sapphire guitar. It was made by Rinton musical products, who are based in Bangkok Thailand? Now, some of you may be tempted to discount this guitar maker as they are not at all well known. Well, do so at your own peril; there are excellently and meticulously built hand crafted guitars. That's right - hand crafted, with no C.N.C machines. 

Whats more, Rinton will build you a one of a kind, bespoke guitar. Want an ebony board - no problem, book matched maple top - you got it ! Your choice of pickups and hardware- not a problem, your own design mother of pearl / abalone inlays - just say when ! And sure, there are no shortage of custom builders who will do the same, but not at what you will pay Rinton. You'll probably pay more for the raw unfinished wood from a custom builder than you will Rinton guitars. And, if your happy with off the shelf guitars, that is available too, and they are non the less hand crafted with great attention to detail.

My off the shelf guitar

I got this back in about 2007 whilst visiting Bangkok, Thailand. I had not heard of this guitar manufacturer but once I took it down off the shelf and played it, I knew I had something special in my hands; beautiful ebony fret board, thick maple cap, one piece mahogany body, and a very elegantly carved top. Trem system by Wilkerson with a push in bar.    

And the stock pickups.....? Absolutely awesome! Vintage voiced, and just perfect for my style of music - early blues breakers - woman tone all day long! Also great for classic rock and back off the gain and you can comp those Jazz cords with a big grin on your face ! Action was low, and so effortless to play. No sharp fret edges and man, this thing was built to last and be rocked hard !
showcasing the beautiful mahogany wood and thick maple cap on this guitar
The quality of tone woods used is exceptional (Click To Enlarge) 

I rarely buy a guitar on impulse, but needless to say I left the store that day a very happy man indeed ! Please check out the video at the bottom of this page where I talk about and showcase this guitar (if your connection can handle it set to HD 720). Also under that video is another video showing me playing this very guitar through a clean amp. I will update this post with some over driven sounds also. 

Atlas star sapphire eagle inlaid headstock
Beautiful eagle inlay (Click to enlarge)



2 comments:

  1. Great guitar, just looking at an Atlas myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony did (Sorry about the delay in replying) you ever get an Atlas>?

      Delete